Friday, October 1, 2010

Ch Ch Ch Changes....



1What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. James 4:1-3

This quote (and audio) really encouraged my heart this morning. I tend to be so focused on my husband's sin that I forget that I need to take a long look at the sin in my heart. Applying the gospel to the anger in my heart is not always easy, but it is the path to righteousness. Oh, Lord, change me from the inside out. I cannot do it without you...

I listened to our pastor's message on THE BEAUTY OF A HOLY LIFE a few days ago... so convicting and encouraging! I was reminded that sin is serious... and it is against a holy God. How I need to be reminded every day that He died for my sins and has raised me to life! Now may I run in the direction of repentance, love, & CHANGE.

Some points that really stood out to me in Eric's message:

*God’s word prohibits the people of God to abstain from a lifestyle of disobedience to God’s clear standards/commands.

*Fleshly passions WAGE WAR against your soul… forming an army, soldiering against you… this is sins job!

*This isn’t who you are… you are something different! Please, abstain from the passions of the flesh (sin)! Sin: to willfully disobey God’s commands.

· Sins: Wanting to maliciously hurt others, drunkenness, envying others, sexual impurity, adultery, homosexuality, gossip, slander, backbiting, drugs, screaming at your husband/wife in anger, disobeying/dishonoring, lying, flirting, immodesty, binge eating/drinking IS WRONG! SIN IS WRONG! And we are called by God to refuse sin and not walk in it any longer.

*A *holy life includes an honorable lifestyle… honorable conduct. A way of life… the unbelievers are watching. Holiness, godliness, expressed in how we live.

- our outward godliness never contributes to our salvation

- we never work to earn righteousness, we work to GROW in righteousness!!

* Is living a holy life about us? NO! Your holiness has the power to attract unbelievers to Christ!!

Consider your life... allow the power of God’s Word to confront you… does our conduct of life reflect that we are a part of the people of God living for another world? Where is God convicting you this morning… to come to God, confess your sin, and receive forgiveness, power, and grace.

You are not stuck in your sins… there is power over your sins… power to change!!!

I was reminded of a song I used to sing when I was little...

Change my heart o God
Make it ever true
Change my heart o God
May I be like you

You are the potter
I am the clay
mold me and make me
this is what I pray

So as tough as it is to change... I know that God has given me the power to change through His spirit! Thank you Lord that your mercies are new every morning! Great is your faithfulness! :)






No comments: