Friday, October 2, 2009

Blessed in Brokeness

"Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"
2 Samuel 7:18

The past two weeks have been rather hard for my family. My precious dad lost his job at the church I grew up at. He was informed of this decision rather suddenly. Finances was the main reason, but many other things have transpired in the past two weeks. My parents have sensed the church going in a different direction, after many meetings and much discussion it is with broken hearts they leave the church they love. There is so much to the story, and I usually don't get very personal on this blog, but my heart is breaking for my parents. I have seen them in the trenches with our church for the past 15 years. My dad has faithfully led worship, passionately taught and discipled the youth, cared for the members of the church, and truly laid down his life for this flock. My mom has served by his side as a loyal and supportive wife through all the ups and downs of minstry. I have never seen my parents "above" anything or anybody...they are FAITHFUL to the body of Christ.
This past Sunday was my parents last Sunday at the church. In God's sovereignty, mom and I had a planned to go to the Extraordinary Women's Conference in Roanoke together Friday and Saturday. In God's kindness, we shared the most precious times together..laughing, crying, talking, and laughing some more :) I have seen a strength in my mom that I hope to emulate in suffering. She has walked so humbly, yet confidently through this whole situation. God has been speaking to her very clearly and she knows His vioce. After the conference was over, we were overwhelmed with sadness when we awoke on Sunday. Knowing that it was my dad's last Sunday to lead this congregation in worship broke our hearts. My dad confidently, yet so graciously stepped up on the stage and lead the congregation, as usual, to the throne of grace. The church (and its leadership) has been humbled through all this as well and we saw the love and gratefullness the people from our church have for us. We were blessed in our brokeness. Though it was one of the sadest things I have had to walk through, I felt so uplifted by the prayers of my friends. It was difficult to go home without Ray or my sister being there, but I pray that my presence brought encouragement, support, and love to my parents as they walk through this trial.
My parents still need much prayer and love during this season. The Lord has been encouraging my heart as I grieve with them. He has reminded me that He is Jehovah Jirah, our Provider...that nothing catches Him by surprise...and He has wonderful things in store for His children. The road will have bumps ahead, but my parents are full of faith in the God that has always been faithful every step of the way. I am filled with anticipation as we wait to see the doors that the Lord will open for them!

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Praying for you and your parents during this time. Praying for God's grace and comfort. Excited for what he has in store for 2 of his faithful servants.

Hugs to your neck,

Ashley said...

thanks mimi :)

Anonymous said...

I'm praying, too. Miss them already!